Some, if not all of you are probably watching HBOâ€™s adaptation of George R.R. Martinâ€™s fantasy magnum opus A Song of Ice and Fire (aka Game of Thrones). I, being the poser/purist that I am, have been reading the books instead, mainly so that I can read the original story
and then complain about how the TV adaptation screwed everything up. Iâ€™m enjoying it so far, and Iâ€™m about 25% of the way through the last book that has been published (A Dance with Dragons).
And then, I came across this little image on DeviantART:
Which got me thinking about whether Game of Thrones would make good fodder for a fighting game or not.
(WARNING â€“ There will be some minor spoilers for those who havenâ€™t read the books, or for anyone whoâ€™s only been watching the HBO series. So be forewarned)
It goes without saying that combat figures heavily in the story, although it tends to be of the army vs. army variety rather than one-on-one. In addition, while there are a few characters who use signature weapons, there really arenâ€™t anything in the way of â€˜signature movesâ€™ like you might expect in your average shounen manga. There are also plenty of characters who wouldnâ€™t wield a weapon for any reason (like perhaps 90% of the female cast), so clearly some improvisation will be necessary.
That said, I do think of some characters that might work in a fighting game setting, although with how those characters might end up playing. Here are a few of my ideas so far:
- Robb Stark â€“ a straightforward character who uses ice-based attacks (I know he doesnâ€™t use Ice, shut up) and can summon his direwolf Grey Wind to do some attacks for him.
- Jon Snow â€“ Seemingly cut from the same mould as Robb with a direwolf (Ghost) to match, but tilted a bit more to the defensive side of things. Might help to think of Robb and Jon as the Ryu and Ken of the game, maybe?
- Brienne of Tarth â€“ a close range character who relies heavily on speed and mixups due to her speed.
- Hodor â€“ One of the servants of House Stark who carries Bran Stark on his back and somehow manages to be the gameâ€™s only grappler. Bran can use his skinchanging ability to take control of Hodor for some of his attacks. (Seriously, I canâ€™t think of anyone else who could fit as a grappler, and even Hodor uses a sword a bunch of times in the books)
- Gregor Clegane â€“ aka The Mountain. The gameâ€™s resident â€˜big guyâ€™ who relies on powerful normals and hard-hitting special attacks to dish out damage. His power is of course offset by his speed.
- Tyrion Lannister â€“ now before you start laughing, I donâ€™t intend for Tyrion to be fighting on his own â€“ cast your mind back to Chang and Choi in CvS2, or even Carl Clover in BlazBlue. The idea here is that Tyrion and his sellsword Bronn are playable as a unit, with each character being able to move independently through special button inputs.
- Jaime Lannister â€“ couldnâ€™t go without him, obviously, although having him in the game post-hand removal might make for a more interesting play style. Alternatively (or additionally), put in Loras Tyrell so you can go nuts with the flower effects.
- Melisandre â€“ Fire. Lots of it. The gameâ€™s zoning character.
- Thoros of Myr â€“ More fire. Except this time on a sword. Since Thorosâ€™ gimmick in the books is that he lights his sword on fire to strike fear into his enemies, he might work well as a character with a â€˜powerupâ€™ mode where his sword bursts into flames. He might even be able to call on the members of his Brotherhood without Banners like Anguy and Tom Sevenstrings for some of his moves.
- Either Oberyn Martell or Areo Hotah â€“ the former is seen using a spear in the books, the latter a poleaxe. Either would be well suited to the role of a ranged/poking character a la Billy Kane from Fatal Fury/KOF.
There are some wrinkles â€“ for instance some characters are dead before they would normally have had the chance to meet some of the others on my above roster, and some factions arenâ€™t really that well-represented (Pretty much no-one east of Westeros, for instance). But if anyone has any other ideas, do post them in the comments! Not that Iâ€™ll be able to do anything with themâ€¦but it might make for some interesting discussion.