A year and twelve hours ago today, I stepped into the lobby of Pacific Medical Center in Beacon Hill, ready to begin my first real job at Amazon.com. I\’ve really come a long way since my first time on call when I accidentally did software deployments in the middle of the day, I think…in particular there\’s a lot of stuff that I\’ve learned.
- Your pager is most definitely not your friend.
- Perl is actually quite readable if you squint at it really hard.
- Eating lunch at your desk while a dog is in the vicinity is asking for trouble.
- Do not bite the hand that provides the free beer and snacks every Friday.
- Resist going out for Brazilian food as much as possible.
Obviously, I\’m kidding. But I have really learned a lot in the last year…I can\’t wait to see what the next will bring.