Got back to Singapore two days ago. The flight was uneventful, and I managed to gather more data to support my hypothesis that turbulence only occurs at mealtime. I watched Iron Man and judged it worthy of all the praise it got when it was released – that\’s one I\’ll have to pick up on Blu-ray or DVD at some point. I also watched Get Smart, and I only really enjoyed Steve Carell\’s performance (and Anne Hathaway\’s presence) – the rest of it felt a bit trite.
So what have I been doing for the past few days?
- Meeting friends for dinner and catching up
- Trying to get my ancient (vintage 2004) laptop to run Half-Life 2 under Wine and failing (it runs the first game just fine, but then again that game actually had an OpenGL renderer)
- Putting time into Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword and Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
- Trying out some iPhone games (I Love Katamari and SimCity – and I\’m not really impressed with either one)
- Troubleshooting computer issues (as always)
I\’m hoping to buy some programming books and spend some time programming. I\’ll probably start with the OpenGL Red Book since the Graphics professor I had in college was pretty terrible, and I\’ve always wanted to revisit the subject in a more competent setting. I\’ve also brought my copy of The Ruby Programming Language with me, in the hope of finally getting down to writing that IRC client I wanted to write.
I thought about getting a gaming laptop to play TF2 and L4D, but then I remembered that I have a perfectly good desktop computer that does that already. No sense buying something I\’ll only use for a few weeks. Still, my ageing Dell needs a replacement…time to go shopping. I guess.