About time for one of these posts, I think.
Iâ€™ve found a new place in downtown Seattle that Iâ€™ll be moving to next month. My current complex is honestly not that bad except for two problems:
- The ISP choices are terrible (I currently have 1.5Mbps DSL, which is the highest speed available)
- There isnâ€™t really much of anything within reasonable walking distance
The new place has a supermarket on the ground floor (yay) and a few restaurants within walking distance. The ISP is Comcast, which may be dubious to some but Iâ€™m willing to go through the annoying setup process if it means I get a download rate from this century. The only downside is that Iâ€™ll either need to take a bus or a company shuttle to work, but eh, I need to start getting up earlier anyway. Getting all my stuff moved over is going to be a pain thoughâ€¦the number of my possessions has increased considerably since I moved to Seattle.
Speaking of Internet, I braved uTorrent a while back to watch some fansubbed anime, namely the first two episodes of K-On! I like it, but I probably wonâ€™t be able to watch the rest of it since BitTorrent basically nukes my connection (for reasons I havenâ€™t figured out yet).
Still waiting for Sony to patch in PS2 support for the Madcatz SF4 sticksâ€¦I figure if it doesnâ€™t come within another few patches I may just sell this to buy a HRAP3 (which does work for PS2 games). As it stands I need to use my old Tekken 5 stick over an adapter, and going from the awesome Sanwa joystick + buttons to the decent-ish Hori stick and buttons isâ€¦well, itâ€™s like owning a Ferrari and driving a Honda instead, if you get my drift.
Installed iPhone OS 3.0 last week. My phone seems to be a lot more responsive now, so itâ€™s obvious theyâ€™ve put some work into performance. I donâ€™t use copy/paste much, but the push notifications have been very handy â€“ I finally installed an IM client (Beejive) on my phone thanks to this new feature. Of course, if the damn thing supported background tasks in the first place this wouldnâ€™t be an issueâ€¦
That said, I kind of wish AT&T didnâ€™t want $400 from me for the 3GS. That new camera and faster CPU are really enticing.
I took out my guitar for the first time in months today, and all I can say for now is â€˜wtf I suck.â€™ Hopefully this will change.
4 thoughts on “Incoherent rambling”
– I have no idea about their installation process, but are you really sure you want to be put under the bandwidth caps that Comcast implements on all their customers?
– Can you at least upgrade the buttons on your Tekken stick to Sanwa, or do you not have the ability or someone to do it for you?
– I know about the bandwidth caps, but as far as I know most ISPs do some form of rate capping anyway (my friend lives in the same complex as I do, and he notes that his cable ISP throttles everyone aggressively in the evenings).
– I did some research, and if I do decide to upgrade it’ll be pretty messy – the buttons are apparently soldered directly onto the PCB: http://namakoteam.com/news.php?id=58
It’s not a huge deal by any means but it seems silly that I have to use the inferior stick for my PS2 games when I have a $150 stick sitting on my desk…
You could always try streaming sites to watch your anime, unless you prefer to keep it. Try Anilinkz or Zomganime.
The problem for me is that I have seen HD anime and I’m spoiled by it. 😛
I might start torrenting stuff depending on my next ISP (Comcast apparently imposes bandwidth limits).